Robyn, 19, female, USA
[commence gross and heartbreaking sobbing]
1) In recent memory, I’d say Lee from the Walking Dead. Possibly also Ellie from the Last of Us. Ranging further back, I’d say maybe SHODAN.
2) I was happy when we finally scrapped the Human Commoner origin in Dragon Age: Origins. I mean, I would have preferred if we could have started over and replaced it with something else, but that plot was a stinker, and no amount of revisions was going to bail the water out of that boat.
3) During the rundown to BG2’s writing deadline, I slept at the BioWare offices for almost a week. Thankfully, they’d installed a shower. I also recall that once, during KotOR’s crunch, I became so stressed and exhausted I burst into tears and just got up and went home. I honestly thought I’d essentially quit and didn’t have a job to go back to. Everybody else was so busy crunching, however, that they didn’t notice.
4) No, I’ve never crushed on a fictional character… though I was quite fond of my Space Girlfriend, Tali. I mean, I killed an entire race for her. That’s gotta mean something.
5) If Star Wars Galaxies was any indication, I’d be a tailor working in my shop on the ass end of Tatooine.
This meaning that the last two remaining LIs are not necessarily race-gated. It is very much a reality that at least one of the romanceable characters we have met already is in fact race-gated.
Well, okay, we know it’s not Iron Bull or Josephine, so that leaves Sera, Dorian, Cullen, and Cassandra.
So here’s my thoughts on them, basically, “If this character is going to be race gated, which race would it be against?”
Sera: I could see her maybe being race-gated against humans? If she’s seen a lot of racism and fetishisation against elves from humans, I could see her not wanting to deal with that.
Dorian: Tevinter’s been at war with the Qunari for ages, so I could see Dorian maybe being weary about romancing a Qunari.
Cullen: We know Cullen can crush on both Amell and Surana, so he’s clearly okay with elves and humans. He’s never shown any opinion on dwarves one way or another, but he’s had to deal with crap from the Qunari in Kirkwall. So if he’s race-gated, it would probably be against Qunari.
Cassandra: I have no sweet clue, tbh. She had a human love interest in Dawn of the Seeker, but other than that… *shrugs* I haven’t seen anything that would put her for or against any other races.
So yeah. Those would be the most logical race-gatings to me among the already established romances. I really hope Sera and Dorian aren’t gated, but they also probably would have the best reasons, so… ymmv. If they are, then I hope the two unannounced romances have a same-sex option to make up for it.